November 7, 2022 Food

House-Made Bread: Today & Every Day

When we say everything on our menus is “scratch-made,” we mean it – right down to our bread (as well as English muffins, hamburger buns, and more). From our weekday breakfast, weekend brunch, and lunch & dinner menus, you’ll find a wide variety of breads that we make, shape, and bake fresh every day. For us, every day is National Homemade Bread Day.

For our bread – as well as our desserts, scratch-made pastas, and more – we use flour from the North Dakota Mill. Founded exactly 100 years ago in 1922, the North Dakota Mill has a five-step milling process to get from wheat in the field to flour for our restaurants.

Step One

Wheat grown on their North Dakota fields is harvested and goes to the mill.

Step Two

The mill cleans and processes over 115,000 bushels of top-quality wheat per day. The eight milling units produce and ship 50,000 CWT of milled products and wheat middlings daily.

Step Three

The terminal elevator blends, cleans, and transfers wheat to the eight milling units and provides farmers, country elevators, and government agencies with storage for the wheat. For reference, the terminal elevator can store up to 4.3 million bushels of wheat.

Step Four

The products from the terminal elevator are packed in bags, totes, and super-sacks for shipment.

Step Five

70% of the flour and semolina from the mill is shipped out on bulk railcars and trucks. The remaining 30% of the finished product is packaged into 5, 10, 25, 50, and even 100-pound bags for shipment on boxcars and trucks. Founding Farmers and our sibling restaurants receive approximately 7,000 50-pound bags of various types of flour from North Dakota Mill.

Once the flour is received, we begin mixing, shaping, and baking all of our bread products. From our decadent apple walnut bread to our ciabatta and sandwich buns, we make it all from scratch, using flours that can be traced all the way back to the sprawling fields of the Midwest.

We’re very proud of our North Dakota Mill flour, as well as how we use it in our bakeries. Originally located at Farmers Fishers Bakers on the Georgetown Waterfront, hence the name “Farmers Fishers Bakers,” our main bakery now lives at Founding Farmers Tysons and produces all of the bread for our DMV restaurants. Our King of Prussia location has its own bakery for our Pennsylvania guests.

March 9, 2023
Events, Food

Enjoy Passover at Home

Enjoy traditional Passover foods and guest-favorites when you order our special Passover at Home menu this year. Started in our kitchens, ready to be finished at your convenience in yours with step-by-step cooking and reheating instructions, your holiday feast will come together quickly and easily – leaving more time for you to hide the afikomen. 

March 8, 2023
Events, Food

Order Easter To Go This Year

Looking for Easter Eats & Treats? Celebrate Easter Weekend with us at home and in our restaurants with brunch, lunch, and dinner.  Order Easter at Home View Easter at Home Menu   Order by: Monday, April 3 at 12pm Pick up: Saturday, April 8 Available at our Founding Farmers locations in Potomac, MD; Reston Station, VA; Tysons, VA; King of Prussia, PA; and Farmers & Distillers and Farmers Fishers Bakers in DC.

February 27, 2023
Events, Food

Enjoy King of Prussia Restaurant Week at Founding Farmers KOP

Great news for our King of Prussia neighbors:  Restaurant Week is March 13–24.  If you have never tried Founding Farmers King of Prussia, Restaurant Week is a great opportunity. Even if you have, King of Prussia’s Restaurant Week is a great time to join us for a great deal and try something new on our menus. 

Join us for a meal

Reserve a Table

Reserve your table or come on in. Our full menus are available for weekday breakfast, lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch.